Chapter Dinner Thursday Meeting - Oct 17, 2019
1.5 Leadership PDUs
Presenters: Emily Stovel and Tyler Kurtz
Harnessing Project Management Tools to Enhance Community Engagement
Project management enhances the effectiveness, timeliness, and success rate of collaborative efforts. Increased effectiveness benefits from the clarity PM tools offer: a charter, scope, communication plan, and risk assessment, for large and small projects. This clarity defines roles and responsibilities and charts the successful completion of key project elements. Given the propensity of projects developed and run by small volunteer groups or public offices that engage intrepid bands of volunteers, it is a wonder that more scholarship has not been dedicated to the benefits of applying PM tools to community efforts. Our presentation outlines recommendations to improve decision-making, leadership, and communication in volunteer community projects where people are passionate about their unpaid work, but sometimes unclear about how best to accomplish their goals.
- Which PM tools are especially helpful in community outreach.
- The impact of volunteer versus paid project members.
- How project management can actually help engagement in outreach situations.
Emily Stovel is currently directing museum initiatives for the town of Bernalillo in New Mexico, after working as site manager of historic sites and museums in both New Mexico and Chile. She built and ran a Museum Studies program that focused on museum administration and organizational planning, and served as the chair of Anthropology at Ripon College (WI) and as museum administrator and director of graduate studies at the Gustavo Le Paige Museum (Universidad Católica del Norte) in San Pedro de Atacama, Chile. Emily is committed to increasing community engagement in museums, and project management offers a lot of powerful tools to support this goal.
Custom Pasta Buffet
- Garden Salad with Two Dressings Garlic Breadsticks
- Grilled Breast of Chicken Pasta: Spaghetti & Penne Pasta
- Sauces: Alfredo & Bolognese Sauce Fresh Vegetables
- Dessert: New York Cheesecake
- Beverage Station: Starbucks Coffee, Decaf & Hot Tea Preset Tables with Water & Iced Tea
It is no longer possible to register for this event